Sunday, December 18, 2011

December is the twelfth and final month

of the Gregorian calendar and the first month of winter. It derives its name from the Latin word decem, meaning ten, as December was the tenth month of the oldest Roman calendar until a monthless winter period was divided between January and February. The Latin name is derived from Decima, the middle Goddess of the Three Fates who personifies the present, and she measured the thread of life with her rod. She is the goddess of childbirth (not married either), and with Nona and Morta she forms the Parcae (the three Fates).
Originally it was a single goddess named Parca meaning create or give birth, but the Goddess of Fate eventually became the triple goddess Parcae. The first Triple Goddess Nona, the spinner, means ninth month, the second Decima, translates as measurer, and the third Morta, cutter of the thread of life, means death. Interesting that the one translated into a trinity...and that women then controlled the fate of the world.

December begins on the same day of the week as September every year because there are 91 days separating September and December, which is a multiple of seven (the number of days in the week). It ends on the same day as April every year also.

So, just a little bit of trivia this week...I had essays to read, grades to calculate, and so my mind needs to recharge!And now as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote, I shall "sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi, I just wanted to tell you I stumbled across your lovely blog because of the title - I had been googling Dutch Rose Quilt Patterns. I am enjoying it very much.
Merry Christmas.

Veronica said...

I found your blog whilst looking for ideas for my next halloween costumes; I'm going as the goddess of death for one of the events..
I like your writing style....consider me a new sub!